Sunday, November 28, 2010

Staying Put . . . For Now

Last Monday, William and I made it home just before midnight! He was so happy to be greeted by Grandma and snuggled on the couch with her while she read him a book. I wish I took a picture of the two of them with the clock in the background!

My mom and I thoroughly exhausted ourselves the next few days by moving all the boys beds and dressers, sorting through clothes and toys, and completely reorganizing all the bedrooms to allow William his own room. It looks fantastic, functions marvelously, and eases loads of stress in my endless quest to stay organized. We even managed to hide the enormous collection of medical supplies in our master bedroom that hid the fireplace from view. So at least for the moment, our master bedroom doesn't feel like the dumping ground.

We had a wonderful Thanksgiving with my mom, sister, Mary, and her husband, Erik, and daughter, Eliza. We missed not having my siblings, Matt and Angela, join us, but understand the influence of the weather and unexpected trips to the hospital when my dad earned himself an unexpected heart procedure on Wednesday. All is good and excellent doctors and the marvels of the medical field are the overwhelming theme of our Thankful list this year. We truly have hearts full of love and gratitude.

Before my mother's departure, we put away Thanksgiving decorations and put up Christmas decorations. It feels good to have things done as we anticipate many days in the hospital this month and will be commuting to San Francisco as well. The one thing we will miss this year is a real Christmas tree. Each year we drive up into the mountains and cut down our own tree at a small, family tree farm where any tree, any size, is about $30. We love this tradition and the Griswold in us comes out. Nothing less than 17 feet will do. I risk my life each year putting the lights and ornaments on, but it is so fun having an enormous tree!
Last year: Christmas 2009

Unfortunately, William's fragile immune system prohibits us from having a real tree this year. I snagged at 6 1/2 foot fake one for a steal on Friday. It was even pre-lit. I must quietly confess that I am grateful for simplifying this year. But the house won't smell the same.

Otherwise, the biggest milestone for us this week came on Wednesday at midnight. William made it past the previous mark for heading back to the hospital with a fever. But he couldn't let the nurses miss him for too long, heading back in on Friday morning at 9 AM for a routine CBC (blood draw and labs). His ANC was 0 and he needed a blood transfusion. I don't know what the deal is at the hospital lately, but William and Ryan spent 9 hours at the hospital for a 3 hour transfusion, plus any additional time needed to draw blood and run labs. Seriously? The hospital needed 6 hours for a single blood draw and to run labs? Most of the rooms on the floor were vacant! I am slowly learning patience...but will I ever have enough!?!

This coming week is expected to be full appointments getting a new round of scans and another bone marrow biopsy to see how effective the last round of chemo was. (Of course, I haven't been notified of the scheduled days and time yet). The results will dictate whether we show up in San Francisco on the 7th for the MIBG radiation therapy or the consult for the stem cell transplant where we sign all the papers acknowledging all the risks involved. (deep breath).

But for now, we are staying put and enjoying our own beds each night and a cozy little tree tucked in the corner that didn't give me a sore back for days!

2 comments:

  1. I went to bed last night with a sore back, even though I went way easier on the lights this year... It's always a good feeling when that task is done!

    I'm glad to hear your week went great, that you and your mom were so productive, and that your dad is doing okay. It turned out to be a good thing we didn't get together, since we've had a little sickness making its way through the family. I think Ben is next...

    We are anxious to hear the results of William's tests this week and hope they bring good news! Love and hugs to you all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing like family and good health outcomes to make a holiday memorable. The duo of Sondra and Julie makes a great team for organization! Can't wait until I can see the resuts. Will sounded so good on the phone yesterday- Loves to you all.

    ReplyDelete